Sunday, April 24, 2011

Elbow-to-elbow (Part 1)

This week we started 5:30am flashlight runs. 



If you had told me two years ago that I would consider a 5:30am run or anything at that hour fun... well...I'd have snorted milk out my nose laughing so hard.


Sleep is really important to me.  I cherish it and guard it closely.  When I get too little zzzz's I turn into a grumpy, gnarly gourd (pumpkin sounds too cute for what I actually turn into).  David, my special-agent "I-only-need-5-hours-of-sleep-to-operate-at-excellent-and-cheerful-capacity" husband, says sleeping is one of my spiritual gifts.  Knowing that about me, you can understand that rising and actually shining when it's early has never been my thing.


But, it has been dawning on me recently that while the sun is up, my life moves at a pace that waits for no woman. So, I have stumbled into a new world that many of you already know and enjoy...the early calm, the starry stillness, the moments before the dew falls is like no other time in the day.  To share it with friends and a run is my new version of a significant and stellar social life.  Stride-for-stride, elbow-to-elbow, breath-to-breath we listen to each others burdens, laugh and sigh at our yesterdays and trade stories and lessons from our youth.





My friend, Patti, sent me a note today...


"So, getting up at 5:00 two mornings this week is not something I count as one of my favorite things to do. However, in looking back over my week, those were two of my favorite things I did this week. Not just because it took dedication and discipline to get me out of bed to put my running shoes on; not just because I ran faster than I intended on running; not just because it has to help in getting me back in a swim suit . . . but because I got to know you better this week.  I loved hearing your stories and experiences from elephants to mean girls.....".


My sentiments exactly.  Grab a flashlight, dear ones and get ready for a good story!  See you this week!


Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment