Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tie-Breaker

Today I was stopped in an Austin store by a precious, septuagenerian stranger who needed my expert shopping opinion.  "Excuse me?" she waved me over.  "Which plates do you think would be best for an Easter dinner with my sister's family?  I've been asked to bring the plates (she lost me a little here).  She lives in Chicago."


She needed a tie-breaker.


This lovely woman had been staring at the dishes (purple iris's or ruby pomegranates?) spread out in the aisle floor for an eternity.  She needed advice from a nearby stranger (me) who possessed not the slightest idea if such plates would be used for a swanky soiree on Michigan Avenue or a picnic in the suburbs.




We all need help breaking ties.

While strangers are fine in a pinch, good counsel from friends who know us well (and love us anyway) can help us look at things through different eyes and we discover that our muddied waters become more clear.

All About Athlete gets this, I think.

Our athletes become friends and our various roads intersect and merge often.  This week alone, I ran stairs, biked trails and swam laps side-by-side a team of athletes every day for an hour or more.  This frequency and intensity of our regular interaction grants a certain amount of respect for the individual and the road each is traveling.

This may come as a shock, but we are all unique.  One size does not fit all even (and especially) in fitness.

Our hope is that AAA can be a trusted tie-breaker when it comes to the daily decisions we must make about our health, nutrition and understanding of fitness.  Trusted, not only because we have coached thousands of athletes over the years, but because we see you as more than just a body that needs to lose some weight.  We really see you.


Our mission is to develop mature and complete athletes whose lives will benefit and serve others.  It's impossible to attain the mastery of my body, lifestyle and mind that allows me to love others well when I am in a perpetual pursuit of getting skinny.  I really can't benefit and serve others well when I am completely preoccupied with myself.

As our conversation wound down, I declared that I loved the pomegranate plates.  My new friend decided that "...you know, I actually like the iris's better....".   It seems she didn't really want the answer, she just needed to work through it with someone.  I was glad to be there to help.

In the same manner,  AAA won't ever tell you the answer, the trick or the quick solution to getting skinny and fit.  We are here with different and experienced eyes to help you work it through it over the long haul.  We respect your journey, your person, your season, and we have a great deal of faith in you.

We're glad to be here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment