Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm not normally like this.

There is an old gospel spiritual that has been playing a loop in my head over the last week. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdcODKzrMFY)

You don't have to move that mountain
Just help me Lord to climb it.
You don't have to move that stumbling block
Just show me the way around it.

Mountains and stumbling blocks.  You can't wish them away and you can't buy them off. 



The effort required to scale an emotional or physical mountain seems so immense at the base. The path is too steep, the going so painfully slow for any real progress.  Will I ever be able to get over it?  Is there another way?

A mountain is the perfect metaphor for true athletes.  Nothing comes easy.  There is only one way to conquer.  Getting to the top demands all of you.


On the other hand, stumbling blocks are sneaky and mean.  They grab at our ankles, sling sand in our face.  Stumbling blocks sucker-punch us right when we least expect it, at the exact moment when we're picking up steam and making some headway.  After encountering a stumbling block, will we get up or will we melt in a puddle?


Someone I know has a habit of saying "...you know, I'm not normally like this..."  It makes me a little crazy.  I want to shake her and shout "This is you, today.  You are like this, now!"

I see myself in her.  The me of yesterday stands beside the me of today as I stare up at my personal mountain.  What will I do, now?  Who will I be, now?  For good or ill, mountains and stumbling blocks require us to live and act in the new now.  How we behaved and who we were in the past matters quite little.  It's useless to say "...you know, I'm not normally like this..." as you melt in a puddle without taking a step.

All About Athlete hopes to develop athletes who say "...you know, I'm not normally like this..." as they set their face to a new challenge and put their shoulder to the plow.


Most of life is spent looking up at obstacles, often with a black eye or bloody nose.  It is hard work and heart work to stand at the bottom of today's personal mountain and start climbing, yet again.  We shouldn't be surprised when we stumble, when we fall, when we are tired!

As much as we wish we could fly, or be carried to the top, there is only one way to get there.

One deliberate step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment