Thursday, March 24, 2011

Taste and see

"Taste and see that the LORD is good".  This comes from one of the Old Testament Psalms (34) in the Bible and I love the description.  Isn't it an interesting and revealing way to talk about God?  To taste and see.  


I like the connection between tasting and seeing.  I was reminded of this today as my attention was elsewhere and my 6-year-old happily rattled on about...well...something.  She paused to take a breath, looked at me expectantly, and I realized with a thud that I had not the slightest idea what she had been talking about for the last several minutes.  I had been "mmm-hmming" and nodding ferociously, but I wasn't present.  I wasn't tasting the moment, or the goodness of her.



I realized with a sinking feeling that I do this a lot.

We all can think of a rich, sweet discussion with a friend or loved one.  You can taste it, can't you?  The connection and the delight in one another actually nourishes the body.


At a recent AAA retreat, we spent a considerable time discussing what it means to really "...taste and see that it is good".  We talked about all aspects of being nourished, and how to incorporate more attentiveness, specifically, to how and why we eat.  We addressed bingeing, enjoying the family table, and various issues that we all experience if we are a woman living in this bewildering culture of sexy and plenty.
  
Like our view of God, women have a hard time seeing that their food, and their bodies are good.  We don't want to taste, because we don't want to see, because we don't think it is very good.  




Like our misguided belief that we need to work hard for God's approval, we also feel that we need to be perfect for society's begrudging acceptance.  Almost everyone in the room at the retreat (20 truly beautiful women, inside and out) hated something about their appearance.  Imagine!  We've been conditioned from an early age that food is our enemy.  That our body is our enemy.  It's better to stay numb and not taste, or think, about anything.


To really taste something means we give our full attention and participation, expecting delight and good.  Nourishment of the body and the soul comes when we give full attention to all manner of things: food, nature, art, music, exercise, people, and especially God... we can taste and expect delight and good.
  
Needing more nourishment?  
I am. 
I am reminded by the Psalms to taste (and see) the good in daily conversations, work, intimate relationships, my body, my food and drink, and especially my God.  They have all been given to taste and enjoy, because they are GOOD.

2 comments:

  1. Kim, I'm friends with Rick and Emily. Me and Emily have been training for a triathlon and she has been forwarding your emails to me. I've enjoyed your insight and your posts have inspired me to enjoy this time of training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! So excited for you and your upcoming triathlon. You have a good workout partner in Emily:) Thanks for the kind words and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete