Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Raise an eyebrow?

Yesterday, I spread a sheet on the wet grass, stretched out in the slanted sunshine and read poetry to the kids.


Can you believe this???  I shake my head even as I write it.  If one of you were to openly write you had done the same, I would raise my eyebrow, seriously wonder about you, and feel slightly sorry for your children.

But people, this was no ordinary week.

Experiencing an eerie east-coast earthquake on Tuesday and then hunkering down through a howling hurricane Saturday/Sunday lends itself to poetry.

Trust me. 

As does lighting several hundred candles, hauling water to flush toilets, and praying over every ancient, snapping and swaying tree surrounding the old farm house.

When the winds finally abated, there was a yearning to get outside, stare at the sky, snuggle close to the earth, and wonder at the awesomeness of it all.

It might take another natural wonder for us to head outside together with a book of good poems, but I really, really hope not.

Whether the Weather

Whether the weather be fine
Or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold
Or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather
Whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not

(Anonymous)

1 comment:

  1. the ADVENTURES.....ya'll are having--
    just WOW
    blessings to you--glad you are all doing ok!

    ReplyDelete